Pages

Kiehl's Cross-Terrain All-in-One Refueling Wash

This product, which is apparently "adventure tested," claims to be a combined facial cleanser, shaving cream, body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. And it's 99.9% biodegradable, whatever that actually means (seriously, is soap residue really killing this planet?). All that's missing is the exfoliant factor. In other words, it purports to perform the functions that a bar of soap used to do before someone convinced us that we needed a series of separate formulae to complete our daily personal hygiene regimen. It's either a lie or, if it works, it means that all of the company's other products have been rendered obsolete--a classic Catch-22, marketing-wise.

What I can report, having tested it under "adventure" circumstances, is that it works--for me. I don't know if I should be washing my face with something that can supposedly condition my hair and remove the grime from my crevices, but the (coconut-derived!) product is lightly yet powerfully formulated (with aloe vera, menthol, vitamin E, and wheat amino acids!), leaving me feeling clean, refreshed (refueled!), and free of chemical residue. Granted, I've never had skin problems, so I could probably have the same results with a bar of soap. It's not cheap: KRW24,000 for a 240-ml tube, which might last a week if I did a daily full-body once-over (not that I ever would). But it feels good, and smells good. Most important--I'm somewhat sheepish yet ready to admit--I like the idea of packing a single, multi-purpse bathing product in my bag that's been scientifically sanctioned as such by the marketing geniuses on Madison Avenue.

I'm now waiting for Kiehl's all-in-one moisturizer eye-balm toner wrinkle-cream mud-pack sun-block.

4 comments:

  1. Meh. Would never work for people with hair longer than yours. Sounds like Johnson & johnsons baby hair & body wash. Can't use it once the baby has real hair on her head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the reference to hair, i'm assuming you're skeptical about the conditioning factor. granted, i've never had hair longer than 10 cm, but i've always been skeptical about the necessity of conditioner. what does it really do? in any case, if that's you're only concern, i'll insert a caveat here that this product works only for people with hair no longer than mine.

    about the baby products, we've used Kiehl's Baby Shampoo & Body Wash for D since he was a newborn, and it's worked fine. (we use Cleansing Milk for his face.) maybe it's a hahm thing, and females with your genetic makeup require a more diversified array of chemical products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. duh. note your son also has hair no longer than yours and requires no conditioning. i'm sure your wife would agree with me that she needs a separate conditioner. the name of the brand on the bottle really matters less than the content inside in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no no no, my naive and ignorant friend. in this case, the brand name Kiehl's guarantees the quality of the contents inside the bottle, no matter the product, the user, or the situation.

    and secondly, in your initial comment, you stated that the J&J's hair & body wash was no good "once the baby has real hair on her head." to which i replied that the Kiehl's baby product has worked fine for Dominic, meaning since he's grown "real" hair. so, unless you were redefining the word "real" to mean "long" (e.g., "spaghetti is real pasta, whereas penne is not"), i win.

    ReplyDelete