Pages

Arc'Teryx Shells

In connection with my previous post, in which I discussed the prevalence of Montura brand when it comes to pants among the members of the Backcountry Camping group, I discuss here the popularity of Arc'Teryx as outerwear. This composite image consists of photos taken on the same trip, a trekking excursion to the Inje region of Gangwon-Do. Five of the 17 members wore Arc'Teryx shells that day, including me. Mine, a Sidewinder SV, is shown on the bottom with the logo along the sleeve.

Of course, Arc'Teryx was also present in the form of layering tops and accessories, as well as packs, and at least one pair of pants (whereas Arc'Teryx pants are mostly loose-fitting, Korean climbers currently prefer slim or tight-fitting pants, such as those made by Montura).

Arc'Teryx hails from Canada, much of it still produced in Canada. Although I'd never heard of it prior to my involvement with outdoor activities in Korea, the label is relatively mainstream here, where it has its own retail outlets and can be found in most camping/hiking multi-shops and general department stores. From its availability in American websites, I'm assuming that it's also popular in the States.

Not cheap, especially here in Korea due to shipping costs, import taxes, and high "premium" markups (probably the biggest culprit). My Sidewinder SV is listed at 1,050,000 won, though I paid 700,000 by offering cash on a two-year-old model languishing in the back of a small independent dealer (large sizes don't sell very well, apparently). I also have an Alpha SL, 590,000 won. The most expensive model is the Alpha SV at 1,139,000 won.

Me, wearing Arc'Teryx on top, Montura below
(photo: courtesy of Lee Hosup)

Unlike the Montura pant, which I firmly believe is far superior in terms of design and quality to others that I've worn, and which fits my body particularly well, I have to confess that I can't define a specific justification for wearing Arc'Teryx shells. They feature waterproof Gore-Tex fabric and immaculate construction, yes, but so do any number of jackets by most companies these days. They look great, yes, but most styles these days are more or less the same. It can't be a matter of value, since they're overpriced. It can't be a matter of exclusivity, since they're commonplace (among outdoor enthusiasts who are willing to pay for it). I don't know, maybe it's the quirky name or the funky logo.

1 comment:

  1. you should just buy these here in the US. the alpha sv is only $599 here...

    ReplyDelete